Friday, February 22, 2008

Who says mono doesn't mean monkey?


This picture is of my favorite RAs on Valentine's Day :)

The best part about this photo is that Brent was getting over being very sick. The following day, I was diagnosed with mono. A week later, Keefe's eyes turned this weird, diabolically red shade and developed influenza. I think Ashley and Karess are the only truly healthy ones in this photo. (...for now...heh)


I tried to write that I had mono to my Spanish teacher and I couldn't remember how to say it. Turns out it's the EXACT same thing as its scientific name in English: Mononucleosis. The Spanish don't abbreviate to "mono" like we do because mono means monkey. So, this is how the email went (In Spanish, of course, translated for you)

Hi, Pilar,

I am sorry that I was not in class Friday. I went to the doctor's office, and my doctor told me I have monkey. No, not monkey as in animal, monkey as in the disease. I have been diagnosed with monkey. But it's not really monkey, it's a virus. I just don't know what it is in Spanish, so I will describe for you monkey in Spanish so hopefully you can figure out what I'm trying to talk about. The monkey makes me very tired and gives me a sore throat. I get about 15 hours of sleep a night with monkey, and I might need some extra time completing some homework and other assignments.
I have a note from my doctor, explaining monkey in English if you would like to verify this!

Thank you,
Emily, the girl with the monkey on her shoulders.

No comments: